Curved Jaw Couplings
Curved jaw couplings, also called spider jaw couplings, are 3-piece units comprised of two metal hubs (jaws) encapsulating an elastomeric element (the spider). The two jaws join loosely, and the elastomeric spider fills the gap between the jaws. Spider jaw couplings perform best in applications involving angular shaft misalignment; however, they can also handle small amounts of parallel misalignment.
There are several benefits of using curved jaw couplings:
- Easy to install, disassemble, and visually inspect
- Requires no lubrication for maintenance-free operation
- No metal-to-metal contact between drive components
Finding the Right Curved-Jaw Coupling for Your ApplicationThe compact design and flexible elastomer material of this general-purpose coupling allows for high torque capacity in misalignment applications. Examples of typical applications for curved jaw couplings include:
- Motor-driven machinery
For guidance on selecting a coupling for your motion control application, see our Misalignment Coupling Selection Guide.
High-Performance Spider Jaw Couplings for All Applications
Ondrives.US is one of the industry’s leading suppliers of high-performance jaw couplings. Our jaw couplings allow for high torque transmittal with little to no backlash, regardless of radial or angular shaft misalignment.
Spider elements in three different durometers are available, each offering different operational characteristics to meet various operating conditions and performance requirements. We offer curved jaw couplings in a range of standard inch and metric bore sizes, making it easy to find the right model for your application.
Our spider couplers are relatively balanced devices, with high torsional stiffness to 33,000 in-lbs./rad. They are capable of speeds up to 34,100 RPM and operate with zero backlash.
For full specifications and Dimensional Parametric Search, see individual product listings.
Request a quote or order the curved jaw couplings you need today. Our spider couplers can also be customized to meet your performance requirements. Contact our applications engineers to discuss your unique needs.
The Ondrives.US Advantage for Curved Jaw Couplings
- Zero backlash
- Superior durability for long working life
- Speeds up to 34,100 RPM
- Torsional stiffness up to 33,000 in-lbs./rad
- Torque values up to 3980 in-lbs.
- Wide range of inch & metric jaw coupling bore sizes
- Any bore-to-bore combination is possible within defined limits
- Outstanding shock & vibration damping
- Operating temperature range from -40°F (-40°C) to 212°F (100°C)
- Resistant to oils, grease, and most solvents
- Good atmospheric & chemical resistance