Jaw Couplings (Spider)
Typical Jaw type couplings are 3 piece units comprised of two metal hubs encapsulating an elastomeric element. A Jaw coupler allows high torque transmittal with little or no backlash regardless of radial or angular shaft misalignment. Jaw type couplings are often called Spider couplings, by design, they are a relatively balanced coupler and are capable of high speeds.
Ondrives.US Spider couplings are available with polyurethane elements in 3 hardnesses which exhibit different operational characteristics. These performance characteristics are shown on the jaw coupling spider PDF.
While 3 piece Jaw type couplings handle high torque and high RPM’s, they have limited ability handling angular and radial misalignment. Ondrives.US has created a range of Cardan Jaw couplings that double the angular misalignment capability and exponentially increase the radial misalignment capability.
Ondrives.US engineers have developed a White Paper “How to select Shaft Couplings” to assist you in the selection of the most appropriate shaft to shaft coupling for your application.
Jaw shaft couplings are compatable with almost any shaft diameter using an Ondrives.US Bore Reducers.
Attach your spider shaft coupling to an Ondrives.US Precision Ground Shaft, available from stock.
The Ondrives.US Advantage
- Zero Backlash Spider Coupling
- Exceptional wear resistance and long service life
- Speeds up to 34,100 rpm
- High torsional stiffness to 33,000 in-lb/rad
- Torques to 1060 inch-lbs
- Operating temperature -40°C to 100°C (short duration max temp. 120°C)
- Any bore to bore combination available within the min. max. limit
- Jaw shaft couplings are available in inch and metric bores
- Resistant to oils, grease and many solvents
- Good atmospheric and chemical resistance
- Excellent shock and vibration damping
- Unique Cardan Joint for greater angular and radial misalignment