Jaw Couplings (Spider)
Typical Jaw type couplings are 3 piece units comprised of two metal hubs encapsulating an elastomeric element. A Jaw coupler allows high torque transmittal with little or no backlash regardless of radial or angular shaft misalignment. Jaw type couplings are often called Spider couplings, by design, they are a relatively balanced coupler and are capable of high speeds.
Ondrives.US Spider couplings are available with polyurethane elements in 3 hardnesses which exhibit different operational characteristics. These performance characteristics are shown on the jaw coupling spider PDF.
While 3 piece Jaw type couplings handle high torque and high RPM’s, they have limited ability handling angular and radial misalignment. Ondrives.US has created a range of Cardan Jaw couplings that double the angular misalignment capability and exponentially increase the radial misalignment capability.
Ondrives.US engineers have developed a White Paper “How to select Shaft Couplings” to assist you in the selection of the most appropriate shaft to shaft coupling for your application.
The Ondrives.US Advantage
- Zero Backlash Spider Coupling
- Exceptional wear resistance and long service life
- Speeds up to 34,100 rpm
- High torsional stiffness to 33,000 in-lb/rad
- Torques to 1060 inch-lbs
- Operating temperature -40°C to 100°C (short duration max temp. 120°C)
- Any bore to bore combination available within the min. max. limit
- Jaw shaft couplings are available in inch and metric bores
- Resistant to oils, grease and many solvents
- Good atmospheric and chemical resistance
- Excellent shock and vibration damping
- Unique Cardan Joint for greater angular and radial misalignment
Customization is available on these flexible spider couplings. Please contact our application engineers to discuss your particular needs.