Shaft & Dowel Pins
Precision dowel pins of stainless steel or hardened steel provide precise locating and alignment of mechanical parts and components. They control and minimize the effects of high torque and high vibration applications and can minimize issues related to radial or axial movement.
Dowel pins and shafts have a non-threaded, straight shape and are used in high precision machinery including motors, gearboxes, and other drive components. Both are used to hinge, drive, rotate or locate components and can handle frequent insertion and removal without distortion. The primary difference between the two is that shafts are typically longer and larger in diameter than precision dowel pins. Shafts are frequently used to transmit rotary motion while dowels usually fasten components in a fixed location.
Precision Dowel Pins and Shafts in Inch and Metric SizesOndrives.US produces instrument quality, precision ground shafts and dowel pins in many materials, diameters, and lengths. Steel and stainless-steel shafts are offered in several options including saw cut end shafts, chamfered or unchamfered end shafts, grooved shafts, and single- or double-ended gearbox shafts. Diameters range from 1/32” to 1-1/4” and lengths are available up to 60”. Metric diameters range from 1mm to 30mm with lengths up to 900mm.
Our inch and metric dowel pins are available in 303, 416 stainless steel and alloy steel. Nominal fit and interference fit options are available. Diameters range from 1/32” to 1/2” and 0.8mm to 12mm. For longer steel dowel pins and larger diameters, refer to our shafts.
Most precision shafts are available for same day shipment. Request a quote for precision dowel pins or shafts, or contact us to discuss custom sizes made to order.
Stainless Steel and Steel Dowel Pins and ShaftsOur shafts are offered in 4 variations. 303 stainless steel is a general purpose, nonmagnetic stainless steel. It may show slight magnetism in the smaller diameters or when work hardened. We also offer shafts in 316 stainless steel, which has better resistance to corrosion and ideal for use in or near salt water. 17-4PH stainless steel shafts are hardened to RC 40 to 47 and recommended for applications where friction might damage softer shaft materials. 12L14 carbon steel shafts are best for applications that are not exposed to corrosive conditions or friction.
Precision dowel pins from Ondrives.US are offered in 303 stainless steel, 416 stainless steel, and alloy options.
- 303 Ball Bearing Shafts: Our 303 incremental shafts feature a 45° chamfer and are toleranced for a snug fit in ABEC 3 to 9 ball bearings. Diameters range from 1/8” to 1/2” with 1/8” incremental lengths starting at 1” and up to 36”.
- 303 Nominal Shafts: 303 nominal shafts from Ondrives.US feature a 45° chamfer and have nominal diameters from 1/16” to 1-1/4” and metric diameters from 1mm to 10mm. Nominal lengths range from 3” to 60” and metric lengths range from 200mm to 900mm.
- 303 Unchamfered Shafts: Our 303 unchamfered shafts are intended for use by customers planning on doing secondary machining to the shafts. These are available in lengths of 12”, 24”, 36”, 600mm and 900mm with diameters of 1/32” to 1-1/4” and 3mm to 30mm
- 316 Nominal Shafts: 316 stainless steel shafts are often used for marine applications due to their resistance to salt water. We stock 316 shafts in nominal diameters from 1/32” to 1-1/4” and metric diameters from 1mm to 10mm. Both ends are 45° chamfered.
- 17-4PH Nominal Shafts: Ondrives.US 17-4PH nominal shafts are carried in nominal diameters from 1/32” to 3/8” and metric diameters from 1mm to 10mm. 17-4PH stainless shafts are precipitation hardened to approximately RC40. Both ends are 45° chamfered.
- 12L14 Nominal Shafts: Our 12L14 nominal shafts are made from precision ground steel and chamfered 45° on both ends. They are stocked in diameters of 1/32” to 3/8” and lengths from 3” to 36”.
- 12L14 Unchamfered Shafts: Precision ground stock shafts have saw cut ends and are offered in 12L14 steel in diameters from 1/8” to 1-1/4” with a 35” length, or metric diameters from 3mm to 32mm with a 900mm length.
- 440C Linear Shafts: Precision ground and hardened to RC50 toRC55, these stainless steel shafts are ideal for use with linear recirculating ball bushings (bearings) or for other high friction or high wear applications. Diameters currently stocked are ½” ¾” and 1” and lengths of 12” 24” and 36’.
- C1060 Linear Shafts: Identical to our 440C linear shafts, these steel shafts have a surface hardness of RC60 to RC65
gearboxes have hollow bore inputs or outputs. We offer a basic selection of single-ended or double-ended steel shafts to assemble in these gearboxes. All gearbox shafts are supplied with keys and retainer rings. Made from corrosion-resistant stainless steel available with diameters from 6mm to 25mm and lengths from 25mm to 70mm.
- For P and PF series worm and wheel gearboxes use our P/PF gearbox shafts
- For E series crossed axis helical gearboxes use our E gearbox shafts
- For F series spur gearboxes, contact our application engineers to discuss your particular needs.
The Ondrives.US Advantage
- Precision ground to -.0002” and better
- Materials available from stock: 303, 316, 416, 440, C1060, 17-4 PH, 12L14, Alloy
- Inch and metric sizes
- Diameters from 1/32” to 1-1/4”
- Lengths up to 60” in stock
- Special diameters, lengths, and materials are available
- Custom shafts and dowels made to order.
- Customizing: grooves, journals, flats, drill holes, thread, tapped holes, chamfers